My friends, all of whom tech savvy, are all pessimistic about the utility of the iPad for their daily use. The first issue that they often raise is the iPad’s capability in terms of content creation. Another, is the iPad’s worthiness as a laptop replacement. And yet another is the iPad’s inability to handle flash and multitasking.
My friends, like me, have desktops everywhere they go and often carry with them either a full-featured laptop, a tablet PC, or a netbook. They are either working as consultants in various different fields or are working fulltime in their respective industries. They attend tons of meetings, conduct endless powerpoint presentation, and are prepared to work every chance that they get – your quintessential road warriors.
To all of TECHNOCOP’s friends, here you go…
1. In terms of content creation, I am writing this blog, actually dictating on it using the very powerful and accurate dragon dictation app for the iPad. Except for heavy image editing, I had so far been able to handle just about anything I throw at it. The following are what I have so far been using the iPad for (refer to the attached mindmap):
Spreadsheets Documents and Quick Notes
Based on my mileage, the above already represents 85% of what I use a computer for. And for the remaining 15%, the iPad has that covered using the powerful LogMeIn Ignition software. The latter allows remote control of your desktop and all its computing power provided that it is connected to the internet and LogMeIn is installed. In fact, the minor image editing for this blog was done remotely on my SOHO desktop while the iPad was connected via LogMeIn Ignition.
The only thing I have not tried so far is an actual powerpoint presentation. I will definitely try that out just as soon as I get my hands on the iPad VGA connector that I ordered from APPLE.
So much for content creation.
As a laptop replacement? Almost. But applying the Paretto principle, the iPad is more than capable when it comes to content creation.
2. Inability to handle FLASH. Truly the iPad cannot. If your work requires you to visit flash heavy websites, then it will not work for you as a laptop replacement. You will have to wait until most of these sites have migrated to HTML5, according to Cupertino.
3. Multitasking. Listening to music is about the only thing you could do on the iPad together with whatever work you are on. Arguments abound on the web saying that not having multi-tasking allows you to focus and finish faster whatever you are doing. Just do them one after the other.
And for what I feel are the true productivity boosters:
Instant On (processing speed). For most of my daily computing chores (schedules, checking email, finding directions, writing quick notes, mind mapping new ideas, etc.) I just grab the iPad and be done with it in matter of minutes. Since I got the iPad, it has never left my person. It sits beside my bed and is always in my man bag everywhere I go.
Unbelievable Battery Life. I recently went on a business trip that started with a plane ride at 5am and ended at 11pm. Checking emails at the airport, sending a quick email of the powerpoint attachment, reading an ebook, writing meeting notes, you name it. I still have 13% juice left when I finally got home.
Form Factor and light weight. No doubt anyone would appreciate the iPad's1.5 lbs weight and multitouch. Not to mention that the thinnest bag you could find would be more than enough to accommodate it.
YMMV, but as far as I am concerned, the iPad has just about replaced my laptop. I still carry my laptop in the trunk of my car for the times when I have to make powerpoint presentations (c’mon Fedex I need that VGA adapter now). But since getting the iPad a month ago, I hardly ever have to reach for my laptop. Even the Android 2.1 Motorola Milestone has been idle inside the man bag.
Next up, what softwares did I install in the iPad?